Darby W.
From her father's diary

17.08.03 - Shelby and Darby before the accident.


17.08.03 - Leaving the hospital about four hours after breaking her leg, wearing a fiberglass splint.


17.08.03 - The first chance to relax since everything happened.


18.08.03 - Darby in the car, just after getting her cast on.


18.08.03 - Signing the cast.


19.08.03 - Her cast 24-hours after it was first signed

21.08.03 - The cast after the first day of second grade.


28.08.03 - Darby on her crutches.


17.09.03 - The first cast being removed after four weeks.

17.09.03 - Darby's cast cut-through.


17.09.03 - She seems very happy to have that big cast off.


17.09.03 - X-rays of her right lower leg, 31 days after the fracture of the tibia.


17.09.03 - Darby had a second cast put on, though it is shorter and more manageable.


17.09.03 - On crutches with her new cast for the next three weeks.


03.10.03 - Darby started getting around without her crutches.


08.10.03 - The cast just before removal.  08.10.03 - Quite a bit of art on this one, too.


08.10.03 - Waiting for the doctor.


08.10.03 - The battle begins to remove Darby's cast.

08.10.03 - It's alive! There's still a leg under there.


08.10.03 - A full day after getting her cast removed, and she's getting around pretty well.

Sunday, August 17, 2003

After visiting the public library that morning and having both kids pick out a book, I took Darby to her friend's house. She was spending the day with her friend. So they went off to lunch and to swim.

I got around 8pm to pick her up. Her friend was riding her scooter. So Darby begged me to let her ride her scooter for a little bit, knowing that I had it in the trunk still from recent use. I told her we needed to get home as it was bath time, but she kept pressing on about riding for just a little bit. So I gave in, knowing that I wanted to speak with her friends mom for a little bit anyway about how the day went.

Well, not twenty minutes later, Darby made a hard left turn after a high-speed coast down the driveway and whack! Down she went. Those "razor" scooters aren't meant to take turns like that with their little wheels. She screamed out pretty fiercely right away and I was pretty worried. I ran to her and picked her up while someone went to get an ice pack. I held her for about ten minutes with the ice on her very swollen shin. We had her try to stand but she screamed out again. Preferring to err on the side of caution, I loaded the kids and their stuff into the car and we headed to the hospital. About two hours later we were getting X-rays, and maybe half an hour after that we had confirmation of the tibia fracture.

With school starting Thursday, this will make for a more than interesting start to the school year.

Monday, August 18, 2003

Darby got her cast on today, in place of the fibreglass splint that was there until the swelling reduced. She's having a hard time with the crutches, so I rented a wheel chair for her for a week while we practice with the crutches. I also purchased a bench for the bath tub so she could sit with her leg out of the tub and take a shower.

This evening was Darby's school orientation. The cool thing there was that once the school faculty saw Darby's plight, they switched her from a class upstairs to a class downstairs so she wouldn't have to worry about traversing the stairs as much. That was way cool as the school integration issue was one of my biggest concerns because of the stairs.

Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Darby is getting much crutch practice. She's getting better all the time. Tomorrow is the first day of school, but it looks like we'll be doing the wheelchair thing still. We'll probably try the crutches at school first thing next week.

Friday, August 22, 2003

We went to CiCi's pizza for dinner tonight and I had Darby use her crutches to go into and out of the restaurant. She didn't like that very much, but she's getting much better at the crutches, however she has only been using them for short distances. As the wheel chair I rented is due back Monday, she will have to propel herself via crutches at school, so we need to be working on her endurance with the crutches. At school, her class moves from their room to the gymnasium to the cafeteria, to the library, etc. during the day, and that will be quite a hike for her on those crutches.

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Today was Darby's first full day with just crutches. She seemed to do well, though her teacher said she almost fell once, and I got the impression she was carried several times.

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

On the way to school I stopped at the store to buy a cheapo box of plastic trash bags so that Darby's cast would not get wet getting to the car when I picked her up. But of course the rain stopped just in time for me to have wasted that grocery store stop as we were able to get to the car without the use of the plastic bag.

Friday, August 29, 2003

Darby is really starting to get around on those crutches. After her first full-week of school on the crutches, I think she is pretty confident and can get around pretty well. Every now and then she pushes it too much and almost falls over, but since her confidence is up she just presses on. Last week this time if she slipped up like that she didn't want to do the crutches anymore for fear of falling over...

Furthermore, Darby started piano lessons today. She did pretty well and I think she is going to like it. It was a little difficult sitting right with her cast, but she did okay anyway.

Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Two more weeks of castage. We had a check up on Darby's leg today. To me it still looked pretty broke on the x-ray, but I'm no orthopaedic specialist. The doctor said she may be able to be out of the cast completely in two more weeks. He asked Darby if she would like to remove the cast today and put a smaller one on and she said no. I think she was worried that it would hurt again.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

After getting home and unpacking stuff, I went to pickup the girls at school early as Darby had a doctor appointment to check-up on her leg. The plan was supposed to be to get an air cast, but they didn't have any in her size, so she got a shorter regular cast instead.

Saturday, October 04, 2003

She Walks! I've forgotten to mention that here in recent days, Darby has been walking around without her crutches. She gets the cast off next week.

Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Cast away! Darby had her second cast removed today. Finally. She may have to be back in crutches tomorrow as she is not quite used to walking normally yet without the cast. She was told not to partake in strenuous activity for a month, so still no PE class at school, etc.

From the diary of Darby's father.